Wednesday 20 July 2011

Thing 7 - Face to Face Networks and Associations

I actually belong to a library association! I decided to be on the ball and joined one headed by one of my teachers during my second semester. It's already come in handy. I'm pretty sure I've already discussed it here, but I'm too lazy and sore right now to dig up links. I continually try to sell the idea to classmates mostly for the first reason on the CPD23 post's list: opportunities for networking. Mostly I'm trying to get them to join for the benefits, but I'll also admit I'm not precisely sad if they don't join, because I am mercenary in nature and like to get a leg up on potential competition while enjoying social aspects of associations.

CPD23's post gives other good reasons to join associations. Organizations and networks:
  • Provide opportunities for training and professional development
  • Provide structured professional development and qualifications
  • Have formal publications

Do check out the CPD23 blog post. Of particular interest to me is Hack Library School, what with their emphasis on schoolin' and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment