Wednesday 20 July 2011

File Monkey

I started my summer job this Monday; I haven't gotten used to not having all the free time in the world anymore. At the moment I'm an Information Management Consultant, which is a fancy way of saying I move paper around. Literally. I take piles of paper, sort them, and then distribute them in file folders in a file room. All day! The past two days I've been on my feet the entire day, so I'm pretty sore. My back hurts a little, too, and my legs are sore from bending and crouching and kneeling to access the bottom two shelves. Ow! Thank goodness I'm wearing sneakers. I think I might have to shift from casual sneakers to actual running shoes tomorrow, though.

The people I work with are nice. The two women older than me are hilarious and fun and often make me laugh. Most of my co-workers pity me, but everyone has to start somewhere. That somewhere is often a room with no windows and cramped shelving! It turns out I've been receiving a good education; my information management class prepared me really well for this job, and I know a lot of terms that might've confused me otherwise as well as laws and policies regarding confidentiality, the life cycle of information, and why there comes a point when stuff needs to get deleted or chucked. I flick through papers with a little rubber thimble on my index finger and dream of the day Library and Archives Canada goes fully digital.

While the filing work isn't the most interesting, I do get to listen to my iPod and wear jeans, neither of which should be ever be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment