Tuesday 12 July 2011

Thing 5 - Reflective Practice

Reflective practice is 'reviewing the experiences we have, learning from them and applying what we have learnt'. It reminds me of field trip reports, which I have mostly bulled my way through as a student. This happened. This happened. I liked this. I learned this. Almost like a fill-in-the-blanks exercise, really.


It also reminds me of maybe a step beyond my note-taking practices. I point form the heck out of things I'm being told and sometimes write myself little questions at the bottom of the page, most of which still make sense days later. Something about formalizing this process makes me roll my eyes a little. I'm not quite sure why. I imagine it's probably handy when attending conferences, something I have still managed not to do.

So, reflecting on CPD23:
  1. Blogging: check, have been doing that for years.
  2. Other Blogs: found some new ones!
  3. Personal Brand: formalized this further with the new CPD23 blog.
  4. Current Awareness: already used RSS feeds/readers, trying Twitter again and still not liking it much, haven't done much of anything with PushNote.

One aspect of CPD23 I have appreciated has been the increased traffic to my blog. My old blog never got this many views. It helps that my frequent posting lands me on the CPD23 sidebar fairly often; I get a lot of referrals from that site. I have followers! That's nutty! But will people continue reading when CPD23 is done? I must charm everyone NOW.

The nudge toward commenting has also paid off. I feel a little more like a member of a community, though I have a long way to go. That was something I never felt as a lone blogger. I'm still not managing one comment a day, but it's still much better than never commenting at all.

I think CPD23 covers quite a few things I already do, but prompts me to put more effort into doing them.

So now what? Well, if anyone has recommendations for Twitter feeds to follow, I'm all ears. Eyes. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment