Tuesday 12 July 2011

Making Blog Posts People Will Actually Read

Another from Geeks Are Sexy: How to write posts that people will actually read by Sterling Camden. Some pretty basic stuff. In summary:

  1. Post about things you care about.
  2. Read up on them.
  3. Catchy titles are good!
  4. Challenge your readers/ask for feedback
  5. Be funny.
  6. Use examples.
  7. Link your sources.
  8. Add your own insights.
  9. Choose conclusions wisely.
  10. Don't go on too long.

I would tentatively add use pictures. Images make things stand out in my RSS feed reader and generally get my attention. I rarely use images. I keep meaning to use more, especially when I read other blogs and see the clever/funny images they've used. It's extra effort is the thing.

One thing I find about adding my own insight to topics is that I don't so much have insight to share yet. I mostly say, 'this is a great idea' and leave 'er there.

No comments:

Post a Comment