Wednesday 20 July 2011

Thing 6 - Online Networks

Thing 6, online networks, talks about Facebook and LinkedIn.

I can't say I use Facebook for networking or anything work-related yet. I really only joined to keep touch with a girl from my kung fu class who moved away; then people from high school found me, and then I friended a bunch of friends, and then I started school again and wound up joining a program-related group as well as adding new library program friends, which lead to me shifting from a very infrequent user to someone who pretty much logs in every day. I try to keep it all positive and professional enough that I wouldn't be embarrassed should someone from work want to friend me. (Google+ has an advantage here in that you can make lists, or 'circles' of friends and limit what each group sees. So while you can share a link with Chuck Norris jokes with your buddies, people you work with don't have to see it.)

I mostly save my library talk for this blog, limiting my fascination with pop culture and jokes. So, while I'm posting about a library offering a new program I think is a good idea on this blog, over on Facebook I'm posting things like this:



Community is really, really funny, and I wish my college experience was a little more like it. (And I've considered posting about it here on the basis that they are often in the college library, a tenuous link at best.) Anyway!

LinkedIn looks super useful, too, but I'm not joining it yet. I think I'll wait until I have a little more on my resume, or at least until I've graduated. A profile on LinkedIn would be so measly I doubt it'd be worth it. Of course, I could be wrong - do you have a LinkedIn profile? How's that working out for you?

3 comments:

  1. I *love* Community--my housemate introduced me to it. I wish they showed it over here. Thanks for the clip--that's made my morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time I run across it in one of my posts, I click it again. You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a Google+ account, but I keep forgetting about it. I've been sort of waiting to see what people say before I invest too much time. As for those circles things, don't Facebook's friend lists serve the same purpose, letting you customize what each list can see? Geez I hope so, b/c I'm counting on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete