Monday 1 August 2011

Thing 8 - Google Calendar and Eggs in Baskets

It's a civic holiday today, and you know what that means! It means I go to my grandmother's and help move stuff around. It also means I can catch up on my neglected little blog.

Thing 8 for CPD23: Google Calendars! They seem pretty useful. I'll admit I've tried to use them now and again but they never stick. Google Calendars do remind me a little of the shared calendars I use at work now. I have to put any meetings or training seminars I'm going to into said shared calendar. It's not the most intuitive name to look up, either, but it'll do. It also flashes little warnings when meetings are coming up, which would probably be more useful if I was actually at my computer and not in a file room.

And now for a cautionary tale: do not put all your eggs in one basket, especially if that basket is Google.

You may have heard that Google+ has been deleting accounts. There are a few reasons, but some people are being locked out for not using their real name, or at least what Google thinks is their real name. This is not so good news for people with screen identities, but the greater problem is losing access to your entire Google account if you have been storing all your data there. DON'T DO THIS.

Keeping all your stuff in one online 'cloud' is an interesting idea. Access it from anywhere, blah blah blah, but always keep backups. Actually, make the cloud your backup. Think of all the things Google can manage: calendars, correspondence, contacts, documents. Now think about what would happen if you suddenly lost access to that data.

On July 15 2011 you turned off my entire Google account. You had absolutely no reason to do this, despite your automated message telling me your system “perceived a violation.” I did not violate any Terms of Service, either Google’s or account specific ToS, and your refusal to provide me with any proof otherwise makes me absolutely certain of this. And I would like to bring to your attention how much damage your carelessness has done.

My Google account was tied to nearly every product Google has developed, meaning that I lost everything in those accounts as well. I was also in the process of consolidating everything into my one Google account. (…)

While the long post the article quotes the paragraphs above from has been taken down, there are other examples of this happening.


I would like to introduce you to something. That black box to the left is an external hard drive. Anyone who's ever had a computer meltdown and lost their data can tell you how much that stinks. This external hard drive allows me to back up all the files I would very much mind losing. It is small, portable, and has a lot of space. This is where you put the kinds of things you don't want to lose.


To the right is something called a day planner. They are also small, portable, and come in a delightful array of styles and colours. You write down your appointments and notes in them. These are both very useful tools.

Please remember, if you hand all your data to Google (or any other one 'place'), you may rue the day.

4 comments:

  1. Your warning is quite right. Yesterday I wrote the same in my blog, but about facebook on that occasion. Since I am not British and does not belong to the libraries, I have some space during the "things" that are specific about the British library system to go further into this. I have the impression that there exists too little awareness of this problem. So I am very pleased with your post.
    My cpd23 blog is at http://radoveden.tumblr.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you please also label this as funny ha-ha? love the picture of an external hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering about putting too many library web app eggs into the Google basket, and the wisdom of that strategy, as appealing as it is to me right now. Your post is referring mainly to personal data, but it does resonate with my ponderings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. External hard drives are awesome! Glad you thought it was funny, Lauren.

    Mel, I've heard about Google having rights to anything (including work documents) you post, but I haven't tracked down a link yet. I've heard it's generally a bad idea to use for protected information.

    ReplyDelete