Monday 1 August 2011

Thing 11 - Mentoring

23 Things for Professional Development's eleventh 'thing' is mentoring. Since I'm a rookie and not out of school yet, I am going to focus on being a mentee.

Again, I will praise my college for providing me with excellent instructors who genuinely care about the success of their students. I can think of two in particular! If you are a student, I hope there is an instructor like this you can talk to. This is also a good reason to take your studies seriously and not slack off. If you're just going to class to get by, you will not be one of the people your instructors go to for special projects or opportunities. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is, particularly to younger students. Your professional life doesn't start when you take your first library position; it begins in school. Being a student provides you with opportunities you may not necessarily get once you graduate. It is important to work hard. CPD23's post says as much:

As a mentee, your role is not to accept the advice and assistance of a mentor passively, but to try to give back in terms of gratitude, professional sharing, and enthusiasm. You should be quite clear about your strengths and weaknesses and be honest about what sort of assistance you would like your mentor to provide. Such clarity and straightforwardness will lead to a much more productive and successful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment