Monday 1 August 2011

Thing 9 - Evernote

23 Things for Professional Development's ninth 'thing' is Evernote. From the looks of it, it seems like a combination of bookmark-type managing and note taking that can be accessed anywhere on the web. That sounds like a pretty good idea, though I think it would be hard to break out of the habit of bookmarking things.

I will admit things get a bit fuddled via bookmarks. Sometimes I'll tiredly bookmark a page, shove it into my 'library/articles' folder, and then forget what the heck it is when I'm scrabbling through the bookmarks in search of a post topic. And then I have to click through every single one and skim it to remember why it piqued my interest. Boo!

Evernote sounds useful and I'm installing it as I write this with the intent to play around with it. I would like to see if the clipping is good for, say, saving content that might later be taken down. Again, I would like to caution that you do make sure you save items of importance in multiple areas in the case of service failure.

1 comment:

  1. I've been experimenting with Evernote to do exactly as you mention here: replace my bookmarking habit. I think bookmarks have a place for frequently-visited sites, but if it's just an article I liked and may want to refer to someday, I'm trying to put it in Evernote moving forward.

    ReplyDelete