Tuesday 28 June 2011

Central Archives and Library Opening

This is what I did yesterday! Well, I was there. I didn't actually do much except get woozy near the end of the speeches and scuttle away to duck into a side room where a nice man gave me water. There were a lot of people, it was hot! You cannot see me almost pass out in this overly wide video, but I am there in the background when the City Archivist, Paul Henry, is speaking. Look for me near the edge of the crowd to the right, speaking with three other women (you can also see the back of Alex from Only connect's blonde head - she finagled an invite for me, a mere student! I shook hands with many, many important people). Sadly, I am not wearing red (I am the brunette with a ponytail/glasses behind Paul Henry's ear).



I got to go on a little tour, eat sandwiches, drop some kind of cream cheese on my shoe, mingle with library folk (always the nicest folk around), and see Jim Watson. It was a delightful opportunity to get my face out there. These sorts of events are handy, not only for field-related chit-chat. When you run into people you met there, you have an excuse to go up to them at other functions and chat some more. (This sometimes leads to offers of tours of other library-related sites, which are very cool.)

The facility is quite pretty. The writing on the glass you can see in the video is from Samuel Champlain and Colonel By (I'm not sure on the last one, my event papers are elsewhere at the moment). The toolbox on stilts you can see in the beginning is actually a little house with alphabet letters cut out of it. There are shelves and shelves of new materials in there. It was like being a kid in a candy store with no money. Must. Not. Touch. The bay with the bins and conveyor belt is especially impressive. There are lots of windows all around. It looks like a beautiful place to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment