Tuesday 21 June 2011

23 Things for Professional Development

23 Things for Professional Development is a program for librarians (though I imagine you could apply tenets to other sorts of blogs as well). I am starting a day or so late. They really explain it best on the site:

So what is '23 Things' anyway?
23 Things is a self-directed course aimed at introducing you to a range of tools that could help your personal and professional development as a librarian, information professional or something else. Each week, we'll write about one or more tool from our list of 23 things and invite you to try it out and/or reflect on how it could help your professional development. Some of the tasks will be practical Things for you to try out straight away, and some of them will be less immediate: ideas to try in the future, or things you can start working towards now and realise in due course or when opportunity arises!

They have a list of Things to do. Thing 1 is to make a blog. I've done that already! I've had a blog on and off for maybe fifteen years or so. I am ahead of the game already. Or I guess I've caught up.

Thing 2: To start off your cpd23 blogging write a post about why you're taking part in the course. You could talk about where your career is now and where you'd like it to go, what you're hoping to learn from cpd23, which of the Things you're most (or least) looking forward to, how you feel about being a new blogger or how you'd like to improve your blogging, or anything else that relates to why you're doing this!

Right now I'm a student in a two-year library technician program. I've completed my first year. I started this blog in September 2009, when I was taking an Introduction to Library Studies night course. I thought it would help keep me up to date on various library-related things, which would in turn make me look so smart. I try to be professional without being dry as toast. I try to post daily, but that doesn't always happen. Which leads to another reason I'm taking part in 23 Things: post content.

Some days I don't find much I want to post about, or anything at all. By following this program, I will have at least twenty-three post topics. I haven't even read ahead, I don't know what this program involves save blogging and I think Twitter factors in somewhere.

Oh no, there's already a Scarlett Librarian. I should come up with something else.

2 comments:

  1. I shouldn't worry about there being another Scarlett Librarian. It's your blog title that brought me here - you need something to make you stand out in the ever growing list of CPD23 participants.

    Looking forward to following your progress on the programme.

    ReplyDelete