Thursday 9 May 2013

Snow White and the seven formats: a digital preservation fairy tale

Meanwhile (or I suppose a while ago), at the Library of Congress...

"In a recent meeting, some colleagues and I discussed the age in which individuals should start understanding the basics of digital preservation. I suggested that, with children creating digital files earlier and earlier, it should be taught as early as possible. The question, of course, is how to get youngsters interested in preserving their data. Fortunately, while doing some research I was able to find a digital preservation fairy tale in the digital archives of the Brothers Grimm. Here is the never-before published tale of Snow Byte and the Seven Formats (movie rights pending). I promise it will make a great bedtime story – they’ll fall right to sleep.  (I would like to thank my wonderful classmate Sara Allen for her invaluable contribution and illustrations)."


I laughed. Also I've been wanting to use that 'Post-It Note' picture on the left for ages now. I actually still have a stack of these in a desk drawer.

I like digitization - especially searchable text content - but constantly updating the file formats is maybe not so awesome.

Actually, while we're at it... I really like this table, too. Did anyone else absently thumb slide the metal bits on these disks back and forth like I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment