Monday 15 April 2013

Reader's Advisory: Westerns bookmark

Over the course of my schoolin', I've pretty much taken three adult readership advisory courses; I've only completed two of them. One was a Gen Ed and the latest is online through my college. The last assignment was due today; I passed it in on Friday 'cause I was eager to finish.

Anyway, boring back story aside, this time through adult reader's advisory I decided to focus on genres I have very little experience with. One of the assignments (actually two, but a different genre each time) was to design a bookmark. Not of the 'this is the library' bookmark, but one with recommendations along the lines of 'if you like crime thrillers, try these authors'. The Iowa Library has some examples on their site; they are .doc files and require you to download them to view them.

I decided to work on Westerns, which I had zero experience with. Almost. My experience with Westerns is essentially limited to the short-lived sci-fi series Firefly and a passing interest in Wyatt Earp. Better than nothing.

At first I thought I might link it to Firefly by choosing a book appropriate to each character, but that didn't stick. Then I thought about the appeal of Firefly itself and how it was a cross-genre show. I ordinarily have no interest in Westerns, but Westerns with spaceships? Those I'm okay with. So then I thought, 'why not lure people to Westerns via genres they already like?' and instead chose five of the genres covered in the course - fantasy, mystery, horror, historical, and science fiction - to choose cross-genre books from. That turned out to be much easier, though the thing where I was determined to find books I'd read myself added an extra layer of difficulty. I did okay on that front, though. I don't think I'd read the romance, but if there was nothing else to read... Anyway. Here are the results:


Bull, Emma. Territory. New York: Tor, 2007. Print.
Hockensmith, Steve. Holmes on the Range. New York: St. Martin's Minotaur, 2006. Print.
Lovelace, Merline. A Savage Beauty. Don Mills, Ont: MIRA, 2003. Print.
Matheson, Richard. Shadow on the Sun. New York: M. Evans and Co, 1994. Print.
Parry, Richard. The Winter Wolf: Wyatt Earp in Alaska. New York: Forge, 1996. Print.
Resnick, Michael D. Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future. New York, N.Y: Tom Doherty Associates, 1986. Print.


Related junk:

TV Tropes' "Badass preacher"
RPGnet Forum: "Fantasy Western in fiction"
Matt Molgaar's Horror Review: "Richard Matheson 'Shadow On The Sun' review". 
Base image for bookmark: "Old western silhouette" by mollygrue @ DeviantArt
Library Journal review by Kristin Ramsdell: "A savage beauty". (EBSCO link)
Library Journal review by Ken St. Andre: "Holmes on the range" (EBSCO link)
Wikipedia (I know, I know): "Weird west". 

I didn't have time to find this book, but it looks liked it'd been helpful: 
Green, Paul. Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns: Supernatural and Science Fiction Elements in Novels, Pulps, Comics, Films, Television, and Games. Jefferson, N.C: McFarland & Co., Publishers, 2009. Print.

If you end up using this, if you could credit scarletinthelibrary.blogspot.com and mollygrue at DeviantArt, that'd be nifty.



No comments:

Post a Comment