Wednesday 14 September 2011

CPD23 Thing 14: Citation Services

CPD23's Thing 14 is all about citation stuff, namely Zotero, Mendeley, citeulike. I had fully intended to try all these out and see what I liked about them, but I put it off a few times and now, finally, I admit I'm probably not going to get around to doing it soon so will post anyway.

I like the idea of these. Personally, I don't really mind writing up citations. One girl in my program (and I can't remember who) said she liked writing up her reference list; it was like a reward for finishing the job. Something like that. I'm pretty indifferent.

I do recall a partner on a project finding a citation website that she was very enthused about, though her enthusiasm faded when she discovered the citations it formatted weren't quite what she needed. And that, I suppose, is my issue with sites like this that attempt to simplify 'tedious' work: they make little mistakes. Citation rules change often enough that I'd be careful using gimmicky stuff. I rely on two sites: Research and Documentation Online, 5th Edition and, to a lesser extent or when I want to double-check something, Purdue OWL Writing Lab. They've served me well. I particularly like the format and examples at RDO5E. Some databases like EBSCO helpfully provide citations for their articles, which is also great.

No comments:

Post a Comment